Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Polar bears are cute.


Polar bears are drowning and it's your fault. Stop driving!


As luck would have it, I had the wonderful burden of a janky car situation before our invasion of Canada. Upon returning to the states, and $680 dollars later, my car was up and running. After several days of entertaining Nugget, Esther, and Chrissie (trifecta was flippin' rad), my car was running stronger then ever. After dropping the girls off, I headed home...that's when my luck caught up with me. Call it kharma for being obnoxious at trifecta, or what have you- but long story short;

I was going about 70mph on the freeway when the hood of my car popped up, curled, and smacked my windshield which obstructed my view. I quickly pull to the shoulder of the road (which happened to be the fast lane) and call AAA. I get the insurance estimate after getting my car towed home, and wait for my dad to come home so I can tell him the GREAT news. Needless to say, he wasn't stoked.

Living without my car was shitty the first time around, as it had been in the shop for a week before Canada. This time around, I decided I wasn't going to rely on other people for rides, and I wasn't going to sit around for another week and wait for my car to be fixed.

So instead, I grabbed my cruiser. I skated across the freeway back into town, I skated to friends homes, I even skated at our janky ass skatepark (which consists of shitty wood and an oversized pyramid) for the first time since Freshman year.

I fell back in love with skateboarding. The love I felt before I got my license. I fell in love with cruising. How does that song go? Kick, push, coast..

Now that my car is fixed, I'm making a challenge for myself (one that i hope you'll take on also) to start skating more, driving less. It's fun and it's cheap. Meeting your friends in town for some grub? Skate there. Headed to the park down the street? Skate there. Plan ahead, pack a water, bring a backpack, get off your ass and skate.


Product suggestions: Zip Zingers are super cruisers, they're small, fast, and you can actually skate on them if you need to ollie a curb or something. Plus, they're easy to stop unlike longboards. Or, invest in some large, soft, wheels for your normal board. They'll make the ride much smoother, and you'll totally enjoy skating without having your knees rattle.



-Kristina, OUT!

1 comment:

Romeo said...

i don't drive at all. I either bike, longboard, or just take my pigboard downtown while taking public transpo.. push, don't pollute. im proud of you for realizing that... - mio